The Custom House was originally built in 1674 on the Boston waterfront. It served as the
method of cargo registration and inspection and was relocated three times, as the "back bay"
was filled for harbor frontage. Now housing the Marriott (leased for 100 years), it's 84 small rooms
provide a view of the harbor and of the city of Boston. The US Customs Service moved to the
O'Neil Federal building in 1986, and the city bought the building as "surplus property" from the'
Federal Government. It stood vacant until the Marriott Corporation open the timeshare.